Current:Home > NewsZara pulls ad after backlash over comparison to Israel-Hamas war images -ProfitSphere Academy
Zara pulls ad after backlash over comparison to Israel-Hamas war images
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 03:59:59
Zara has pulled a controversial ad after a "misunderstanding" as backlash mounts with consumers who drew comparisons of the photo shoot to images out of Gaza amid the Israel-Hamas war.
In a statement shared via social media Tuesday, the brand said "after listening to comments regarding the latest Zara Atelier campaign 'The Jacket,'" they have removed the ad.
"The campaign, that was conceived in July and photographed in September, presents "a series of images of unfinished sculptures in a sculptor's studio and was created with the sole purpose of showcasing craftmade garments in an artistic context," the Spanish fashion retailer said.
Zara added: "Unfortunately, some customers felt offended by these images, which have now been removed, and saw in them something far from what was intended when they were created.
"Zara regrets that misunderstanding and we reaffirm our deep respect towards everyone."
The campaign, photographed by Tim Walker, features a model in a warehouse-style environment surrounded by rubble. Amid the dust-covered environment are statues wrapped in white cloth resembling shrouds. In one photo, a model is hoisting a wrapped mannequin over their shoulder.
Some have compared the campaign to imagery out of Gaza showing deceased people wrapped in white body bags amid the war, leading to boycotts. Pro-Palestinian activists also staged a protest at a Zara store in the U.K., journalist Farid Qureshi reported.
Israel-Hamas war updates:13 Israeli soldiers killed by friendly fire; Zara backs off ad campaign
Zara was previously under fire in 2021 after comments head designer Vanessa Perilman made to Palestinian model Qaher Harhash.
"Maybe if your people were educated then they wouldn't blow up the hospitals and schools that Israel helped to pay for in Gaza," a screenshot of Perilman’s message to Harhash stated, according to NBC and CNN. "Israelis don't teach children to hate nor throw stones at soldiers as your people do."
At the time, Inditex, Zara's parent company, issued a statement condemning Perilman's comments, but she is still with the company.
Zara has also been accused of antisemitism for designs in 2014 invoking imagery from the Holocaust — a $78 handbag that Zara withdrew from stores when shoppers pointed out the embroidery featured four swastikas, and a striped children's shirt with a yellow star that was also pulled for its resemblance to a prisoner's uniform.
Contributing: Maeve McDermott
No, Dior didn't replace Bella Hadidwith an Israeli model over her comments on the Israel-Hamas war
veryGood! (794)
Related
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Massachusetts police searching for Air Force veteran suspected of killing wife; residents urged to stay vigilant
- UAW appears to be moving toward a potential deal with Ford that could end strike
- Judge reinstates charges against Philadelphia police officer in fatal shooting of Eddie Irizarry
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Swastika found carved into playground equipment at suburban Chicago school
- Mississippi should set minimum wage higher than federal level, says Democrat running for governor
- Nashville police chief’s son, wanted in the shooting of 2 officers, found dead after car chase
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- British leader Rishi Sunak marks a year in office with little to celebrate
Ranking
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Can the Latest $10 million in EPA Grants Make a Difference in Achieving Chesapeake Bay Restoration Goals?
- Powerball winning numbers from Oct. 23 drawing: Jackpot now at $100 million
- Carnival ruled negligent over cruise where 662 passengers got COVID-19 early in pandemic
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Daemen University unveils second US ‘Peace & Love’ sculpture without Ringo Starr present
- Former British police officer jailed for abusing over 200 girls on Snapchat
- New report from PEN America documents vast book bannings in U.S. prisons
Recommendation
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
Environmental groups reject deep-sea mining as key UN meeting looms
Our Place Flash Deal: Save $100 on the Internet-Famous Always Pans 2.0
10 days after heading to sea, 3 fishermen are missing off Georgia amid wide search by Coast Guard
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
Drugstore closures create pharmacy deserts in underserved communities
Former hospital director charged after embezzling $600,000 from charitable fund, police say
Michael Cohen’s testimony will resume in the Donald Trump business fraud lawsuit in New York